        From:   Bergeron, Paul [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   Wednesday, November 22, 2000 8:16 AM
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        are military discharge papers confidential?

        Can anyone help me on this one?

        Former military personnel can choose to place their original Form
214, Armed
        Forces Separation Papers, on file with their city or town clerk.  As
they
        have need for copies of this certificate, we issue a certified "true
copy"
        attesting that the original is on file in our office.

        I have a local recruiter who wants to review these certificates.
His intent
        is to contact some of these individuals to see if they want to
re-enlist.
        He said he had been allowed to review these certificates in another
        community where he had been assigned.

        I am not familiar with the regulations governing Form 214.  Would
anyone
        know if these papers are considered confidential?  Or can I grant
the
        recruiter access?

        Thank you!

        Paul R. Bergeron