When my husband was dicharged many years ago (1979-80ish), he was told that
his copy of the DD214 was the ONLY copy (the militry did not keep one) and
to guard it carefully. Perhaps that is why some recorder's offices allowed
them to be recorded, so as to give vets a safe place to keep the records.

<<As someone who filed his DD214 thirteen years ago in a county recorder's
office, I would think that any federal regulations about access would apply
only to the federal government's copy (unless it was burned in the fire that
destroyed many military personnel records in St. Louis many years ago).
Once filed in a local government office, that office's copy is the property
of the local government agency and access should be IAW their policy, which
is sometimes, but not always, addressed in state laws.>>

Nolene Sherman
CJ Segerstrom & Sons