Listservers,

I noticed in this week's Fortune magazine - vol. 142, no. 12, to be
displayed until December 4, 2000 - a worrying statement by Mike Ruettgers,
CEO of EMC, the digital storage company. He says, "Once companies have
committed to collect information - and almost everyone knows information is
key today - it becomes almost non-discretionary spending.  If you collect
stuff today, it has to go someplace, even when you have slowdowns. I don't
see saturation in storage." Ruettgers means he sees no saturation in terms
of sales of storage systems.

Well, I have seen the enemy, and for Mike Ruettgers the enemy is me, and
you, if we are going to apply retention schedules and put some sense into
endless accumulation of "information". I thought I'd already had my
technology shakes for the day, with the desktop email archive PK let us know
about - where do they think these things up?  But endless storage is EMC's
business model, and it is incumbent on records managers to fight this to the
bitter end.

Best regards,

David
______________________________________
David Povey
Corporate Information Officer
Munich Reinsurance Co of Australasia Ltd
Level 5, 143 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
PO Box H35, Australia Square, Sydney, NSW 1215
Direct Phone +61 2 9272 8152  Fax 9251 4885
email: [log in to unmask]

        CAUTION: This message is intended only for the named addressee.  It
is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  By opening any attachment, you agree that Munich Reinsurance
Company of Australasia Ltd ("MRA") will not be liable for any loss resulting
from viruses or other defects.  Any views in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender expressly and with authority
states them to be the views of MRA.  MRA will not be liable for any action
taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance upon the contents of this
message.