snip... has anyone developed an efficient way to maintain the <record
series> inventory once it
has been completed?

I have used both word processing software and database management software
to manage the inventory of record series.  both methods can be efficient,
however I would prefer using the database approach along with an
application that can ensure no duplicate record series numbers can be assigned.

Naturally, if the record series inventory is computerized, and the
inventory of records is likewise computerized, a link between the two can
be established to further ensure that a change to the retention period in
the record series inventory is automatically reflected in the inventory of
records.

There are many software packages on the market that can perform these
functions.

Alan

ALAN S. ZABEN
"A Cancer Survivor"
Edison, NJ

Cancer may have robbed me of that blissful ignorance that once led me to
believe that tomorrow stretched forever.  In exchange I've been granted
the wisdom to see each today as something special, a gift to be used wisely
and fully.  Nothing can take that away.

Hopes and dreams reign where cancer cannot go.