In (partial) reply to your posting:
> We are looking for any information (good or bad) you might be willing
> to share regarding personal experience with the purchase,
> implementation, and use of either ScreenScan or Fuji M-Drive microfilm
> scanners.  We would be scanning 16mm microfilm in batches as well
> as selected images.  We are interested in any limitations,
> software/hardware requirements, or any other special needs required
>  to implement such a system.
> Brian Kleveland
> Records Management Coordinator
> Nebraska Public Power District

Brian, I am re-posting to the Records Management listserv a message
that I recently sent on this subject to another listserv. It may help
you out.
==== posting begins ======
> Does anyone know of any systems for digitizing microfilm and
> microfiche? Jeremy Hunsinger

Jeremy, there are two types of microfilm digitising systems
("scanners"). Which to choose depends on your needs.

One category of scanners systems is intended to digitise a very large
 number of film images in as short a time as possible. Wicks &
Wilson,  SunRise Imaging, and Meckel Engineering/HoustonFearless 76
scanners  are in this category. Typically, these scanners are bought
by  commercial conversion service bureaus. They are fairly complex to
 program and to connect, as well as rather expensive (US $50,000 to
US  $150,000). But in the context of massive conversions, they are
very  cost-effective.

The other category of scanner systems is intended to digitise a
relatively small number of images, in a situation where time is
somewhat less important. Within this category are three sub-
categories.

The first sub-category is what you might call "computer mimics". The
scanner is enclosed in a case that greatly resembles a tower
computer, and it is entirely controlled by software. Fuji's "M-Drive"
 and Kodak's "Digital Science Intelligent Microimage Scanner". They
are relatively fast and offer a good deal of control, BUT they only
scan 16mm microfilm in cartridges. They cost typically about US
$20,000.

The second sub-category consists of machines that resemble, or are
derived from, microforms reader-printers. In the United States, Canon
 and Minolta are the main vendors. These machines have the advantages
 that they accept many different types of microforms, and users who
are not very computer-literate or computer-comfortable find them
easier to use (their controls are usually keypads, buttons, slides,
etc.). But they are relatively slow, compared to the preceding
devices. These machines cost about US $16,000.

The third sub-category, which to my knowledge includes only one
vendor (ScreenScan), consists of a device that you, or a Vendor, add
on to an existing microform reader or reader-printer. ScreenScan
devices (there are several versions) cost between US $6,000 and US
$15,000, depending on which version and what equipment you are
buying.

Again, all of these devices have their strengths and weaknesses, and
which one best meets your requirements is for you to decide.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin,
Technology Coordinator
The City of New York, Department of Finance
31 Chambers Street (room 201)
New York  NY 10007  USA
phone:  (212) 788-8519
fax:  (212) 788-8521
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the policy of the City of New York