Hello:
        I sent this out yesterday attached to a different discussion, but
one of the Listserv members suggested that I send it out separately:
        At our school, Seattle Central Community College, we have 2.5 grade
point requirement (the lowest B-) established for students to move from our
Development English writing course to English 101 (college transfer).  But,
for various political, ideological, and spheres of influence power struggles
between our administration and competing faculty groups, no one enforces the
requirement.  In fact, we really don't know how many students do or don't
move appropriately, though we assume that most move properly.  The English
faculty may be considering the issue of whether to enforce the minimum grade
point requirement or eliminating it entirely.  What do you all do at your
institution when it comes to the movement of Developmental  students to
college transfer, whether it be in English or math?  What do you require and
how is it checked?  Has the issue been raised at your institution about when
does a standard become a hindrance or a barrier?  Thanks for your views.
Larry Silverman
English Department
Seattle Central Community College