As the University Director of Learning Resource Centers (6) at Rutgers
University, I am part of the professional staff.  Rutgers is a large
(39,000) state university, and no one in academic support programs has
faculty rank or tenure options.  Library staff, however, have faculty rank
and tenure track options.

Some of us in support programs (career services, counseling centers, etc.)
may have guest appointments, which carry no benefits other than a title.
For instance, I am an Associate Faculty member of the Department of
Learning and Teaching in the Graduate School of Education.  I have never
taught a class for the department, but I participate in their departmental
meetings.

Karen Smith

>Lori Nielsen wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to provide information about whether learning center
>> directors & professional staff have rank and tenure at other
>> institutions.  Do you?  DId you follow the same process as other
>> faculty members, and meet the same criteria?

Karen G. Smith
Rutgers University's Learning Resource Centers
<http://lrc.rutgers.edu>
<http://pass.rutgers.edu>