I teach at a four year university, but I do teach developmental, non-credit
courses that lead to credit courses in English.  So, I'm in pretty much the
same boat.  At my institution, movement from developmental to college level
courses is not determined by the course instructor since those
determinations may be mitagated by subjectivity.  Instead, we give an exit
exam which is an holistically graded essay.  Two instructors read each essay
during a blind reading session.

In the math department, I believe the exams (both final and midterm) are
objective tests that are standard throughout the department.

Lonna Smith
Department of Linguistics and Language Development
San Jose State University
Phone: (408)924-4431