I am the director of Academic Services at a small (1250 students) liberal arts
college that has a faculty advisory system: all students are assigned a faculty
advisor and there is no official advising office.  Nonetheless, my office has
become the sort of de facto advising office for many of our students who want
second opinions, aren't engaged with their advisors, etc.  It has been working
well: students have an advisor who doesn't have a departmental affiliation (so
they don't worry about insulting me by saying that they don't want to study,
say, physics, or literature).  Insofar as students who are dis-engaged with
their advisors and instructors are often the ones experiencing academic
difficulty, it is an especially nice fit: 'here you are in Academic Services
for an advising session-- might as well sign up for a tutor in that class
you're having trouble with...'

..dave

Sarah Bedingfield wrote:

> December 8, 2000
>
> Our college president is asking our learning assistance center to take on
> the role of student advising and am curious to know what models exist out
> there.  I would appreciate any information you could give me.  Many thanks.
>
> Sarah S. Bedingfield
> Coordinator, Dept. of Instructional Studies
> NH Community Technical College
> Stratham, NH 03885

David Shein
Director of Academic Services