Hi, folks,

I'm back after a long absence due to too much work in the trenches.

Great book:

Richardson, Ken. The Making of Intelligence. London: Weidenfeld &
Nicolson, 1999.

I like a good argument, and this book provides. Richardson is not afraid
to trash the whole endeavor of testing for and basing educational
measures on Intelligence Quotients. He argues articulately that not only
do IQ tests not really specify what they're testing, but that most
psychologists studying Intelligence disagree profoundly about what
intelligence is. He discredits "g" as anything but cultural bias, shows
how genetics could have very little to do with a feature like
intelligence even if it existed, and demonstrates how supposedly
"culture-free" intelligence tests based on abstract shapes are the most
culture-laden tests of all. I'm sure he's already receiving bagsful of
hate-mail from psychologists.

In short, he derides IQ tests & the whole "science" that supports them
as a case of the Emperor's New Clothes (very few other sciences study
something so assiduously that cannot be demonstrated to exist), and
exposes the endeavor as the racist and classist project that it is.

I suppose you can detect my own biases creeping into this short review.
I do think it is in the interests of  us (who insist that people can in
fact learn how to learn) to lob as many explosive munitions in the
direction of IQ testing (and notions that intelligence is heritable and
basically inalterable) as we can.

Steve Runge