I would strongly urge any learning center director to FIRST contact the
computer services on your own campus.  We looked at many options available for
purchase -- gasping at some of the costs and sighing about how they don't
really get at the data I want for my own center.  We created what we really
needed: specific to our center, completely compatible and integrated with all
of our student record databases (e.g., all ACT scores, class schedules,
athlete codes, grades, etc. are automatically added into my database as each
learning center client first comes to see us), built-in local support for
tweaks and updates, perfect report formats, and a truckload of other perks.  I
realize not every campus or learning center has this kind of support
available, or perhaps it's available but not worth the hassle.  Nevertheless,
I think your own campus is the first place to turn; go there with your ideal
in mind, because good programmers can work wonders, make your data-life
easier, and keep you saner in the long run.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Support
Missouri Western State College
St. Joseph, MO  64507