Jan, if you have very unique requirements that are not answered by
off-the-shelf system, and you have the resources to build your own software,
this might be a good option.  But as you mentioned it is not for everyone.
While I know of few centers that successfully developed their own software,
many others have failed, or encountered difficulties after the person who
developed their system moved on.  Also building a professional system from
scratch takes time.  Compare that to the convenience of a ready system that
you can deploy immediately.  More on this issue at this web page:

http://www.attendance-tracking.com/learning_centers_FAQ/buy_vs_make.htm

Mon