I like this listserv as a means of getting relevant information and the
gut-honest response of fellow professionals.  Given the realities of budgets,
specific expertise, timelines, etc., we need to be able to ask questions about
products and services, and receive in return useful, honest experiences and
suggestions from colleagues.  We're mature enough to take everything with
sufficient grains (or tonnage) of salt.  Nevertheless, should we be faced with
sales pitches on the listserv, or defenses by promoters, or fears about
offending companies, or whatever?  In the brief moments since I posted my note
about seeking help from one's own campus computer services, I have received
several private notes -- to me, not LRNASST -- about problems and complaints
with Accutrack.  Isn't that EXACTLY the kind of information we owe to fellow
professionals??  Yet I think we're not sharing that information freely when we
see that our posts are going to yeild responses we aren't wanting.

Give me instead the honest and civil exchange that has been occurring about
tutor training videos, sans the sales pitches.  Hasn't LRNASST tried to keep
the list free of promoting by vendors, authors, and others who clearly benefit
from their own promotings?

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Support
Missouri Western State College