I appreciate Judy's "touchy-feely" approach to supervising tutors.  It reminded me that I set out to offer similar perks when I took over the management of our Math Lab, and it's time to bake some cookies.  Employees who feel appreciated will often go out of their way for their employer.

I would also like to add that I emphasize a "customer service" attitude in our lab.  The tutors understand that the reputation of the Math Lab depends on how well they do their job.  And if the Math Lab doesn't get a lot of business--they don't get a lot of hours.  Consequently, most of my tutors go the extra mile to provide a good learning experience for the students.  That includes making sure we always have enough tutors working.  This emphasis on customer service has, thus far, alleviated any problems with last minute schedule changes.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Coordinator, Math Tutorial Services
Utah Valley State College
800 West University Pkwy