While I don't disagree with Tony's view of the responsibilities for
managing the  EDMS belonging with Records Management, I think the
comment regarding training needs some "fine tuning".

If the RM organization is the custodian of the EDMS, part of their
responsibility should include Training all users, ESPECIALLY on the
basic functions.  This should definitely include functions such as
find, file, save and share... but NOT delete.  This function should
be the responsibility of those who manage the retention schedule and
destruction process, the users should only have input to the process.

A properly managed EDMS could include the option for the user
community to approve for destruction documents that reach the end of
their retention period, generate an approval release and then the
organization managing the EDMS could institute the destruction
process.

I feel one of the areas many RM organizations are weakest in is
educating and training their user base on how to get the most out of
an EDMS or any of the services RM can provide to assist them.  It's a
sales job to convince the existing customer base to build on the
basic functions RM provides for them and use that as a "springboard"
to increase the customer base in an organization.

Larry

--
Lawrence Medina
Sr. Records Administrator