Date:    Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:27:04 -0500
From:    "Kurilecz, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cost Benefit Analysis of off-site vs on-site records storage

There are probably numerous articles available about this subject, but basically
you will have to develop a matrix that compares the associated costs.

This analyis would look at the cost of the following (at a minimum);
Space - What is the client's square foot lease cost, How much of the space is
used for records (active and inactive). What is the offsite vendor's storage
cost. Must compare cubic foot cost see this website to understand how much space
filing equipment requires
http://www.ifmaboston.org/records.html and
http://www.spacesaver.com/concept/capacity.html

Manpower - How many personnel does the client use exclusively for records work.
What percentage of time is spent working with records.
Equipment - How much filing equipment does the client have and what types.  How
much are they purchasing each year.
Services - how many retrievals/refiles per day, urgency of need, quantity
retrieved/refiled daily, weekly, monthly supplies

You will need to identify all factors associated with records storage from which
you can then develop a cost matrix or analysis in which one can plug in the
numbers.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc