As you're at Bechtel Hanford, you may be interested in the DOE's
Profile of Adopted Standards, Chapter 6, Data Interchange Standards
(http://www-it.hr.doe.gov/standards/stdsdocs/prof6.htm).  It is
probably close to a "national specification" of standards, and refers
to many of the FIPS, which adopt ANSI and/or ISO standards, as well
as de facto standards for recording data in interchangeable forms.

There is a version 2000 also, which I believe is still in
development.

Peter Lundell
Millican & Associates, Inc.
2699 Stirling Road, Suite C106