At 02:29 PM 12/5/00 -0800, Linda Mahoney wrote:
12/05/00

>I need the fine resources of this list once again.
>My boss wants me to keep then scan all the red-lines of
>all document/dwg. changes.  My arguments against this
>are two-fold: we do not have the staff to do this; we
>don't have the room to keep this info on the server.

Both arguments are valid excuses for why complying with the boss' orders will
be difficult.  However, I suspect that the boss has his reasons, why not ask
him/her?

>Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't understand
>why we should keep the red-lines.  My boss's reason for
>keeping the red-lines is not crystal clear except that
>he wants to.

Red-line drawings replace as-built drawings.  Formerly upon completion of a
building a final set of
blueprints/engineering drawings was built incorporating
changes to the original design during construction.  Often the as-builts were
measured drawings, with actual
remeasurement of the completed structure rather than simply relying on change
orders,etc.  This was deemed
cost-prohibitive a couple of decades or so, and as-builts, unless specially
ordered, are a thing of the past.

The legal value of red-lines is that they are part of
the acceptance documentation package and thus both the builder and owner are
stipulating that what was built is acceptable to both parties.

>Any rebuttals would be helpful.

I can't see any rebuttal per se, since your company may regard these files as
vital records from a legal/liability standpoint and duplication of some sort
may be advisable.

Scanning in-house costs money, even if it is not budgeted for (especially if
it is not budgeted for).  Prior to asking your boss why s/he wants the
records scanned, contact some scanning/filming vendors and get some bids so
you can provide alternatives/costs.  I would recommend no less than 3 bids
each for scanning and filming.

Take the median bid price for scanning and  add 50% for your internal cost,
on the assumption that a scanning vendor will be able to do it faster than
you because they have more up-to-date equipment and that anytime they are NOT
working their overhead is eating into their profit.  Whereas your in-house
equipment and staff will be slower due to older equipment, lack of staff
familiarity with scanning operations resulting in "do-overs", and lost
utility of staff time on a non-budgeted project.

Then ask your boss where the money will come from.

In closing, much of the justification for making copies of the documents
depends on the use to which they will be put.  It should be sufficient (and
cheaper, IMO) to duplicate via microfilming if all you are providing for is
vital record protection (of course you could always buy one of Hugh's vaults
. . .).  If however, your firm continues to use the drawings as a base on
which to build improved products, you will need to scan AND convert to CAD
data for future *use* in engineering.

HTH

AoD
(should I get paid for this or what?  <g>)