Our institution is looking at the creation of a College Preparation
Division.  At the moment, college preparation courses are housed in
English, Academic and Career Preparation (English, Math, Biology, Physics)
Math, Chemistry, Physics, EASL (ESL for UT) and ENLT (ESL for trades,
vocational, and career programs). It is felt that this may address the
high failure rates in senior developmental college preparation courses.
We have an open door policy and senior management interprets that as "the
right to fail".

The dean of our Humanities Department which houses the ESL and ENLT
programs as well as English and Communications is very interested in
facilitating such a division.  We feel that the first step is to look at
student skill levels, testing, advising, and personal choice.  Have any of
you undertaken a study such as he suggests or do you know of such a study?
Any help would be much appreciated.

"There should be a simple way of testing the efficacy of teating/advising
vs. personal choice. Can we find a cohort that has done one of these and
a cohort that has done the other and compare their success rates
subsequently? Does anyone on the list know how a simple reseaarch
project like that could be managed? I'd appreciate knowing before starting
such a project."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x Bev Krieger, BEd, MA            x
x Kwantlen University College     x