Last fall, I asked this group whether directors of learning center
programs had rank and/or tenure.  Eighteen people from 2- and 4-
year colleges responded to my inquiry.  Fifteen identified
themselves as "directors" or stated they were reporting on behalf of
their directors.  Only four of the eighteen are in ranked & tenured
positions; two of those positions were in academic departments.
At most institutions, directors were classified as "administrative" or
"professional" staff, and so I assume that means they are not
eligible for tenure.

According to a 1995 issue of Research in Developmental Education
(vol. 12, issue 1), 32% of developmental faculty at 4-year
institutions are in tenure-track positions, and "a substantial
majority of developmental faculty are on nontenure tracks
compared to the American professoriate at large."

Just wanted to report on my findings.  Thanks to those who
responded!

Lori Nielsen, Director
Learning Center                 <[log in to unmask]>
Dana College                    (402) 426-7334
2848 College Dr.
Blair, NE  68008