I am also interested in this topic.  We are moving-I hope- in that
direction in writing.  Our Englih department wrote competencies for ALL
composition courses. It also agreed ( as part of our ourtcomes assessment
efforts) to have an exit writing to determine if a student was ready to
progress to the next level of developmental writing or to credit level
writing.  This past semester was the first time that  we implemented  the
process.   Every student  had to write an exit essay of at least three
paragraphs.  They were given three hours to do it in; half the time was for
the rough draft and half for the final draft.  Two faculty members  read
the essay and evaluated it for  a passing grade or for a making progress
grade.  If there was a discrepancy, a third person read it.  We
give  letter grades in developmental studies and an "MP" or making progress
grade is given if the student has exhibited a good faith effort in class
but has not mastered the skills outlined in the competency statements.