I think that many undergraduate students are certainly capable of grading
freshman math, but what does that have to do with tutoring?  I have never
heard of tutoring money being used for grading.  Grading is part of
instruction and should be funded by the Math department.

Kenneth W. Gattis
Director, Undergraduate Tutorial Center
147 Leazar Hall, Box 7105
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695
(919) 515-5619

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/23/01 04:40PM >>>
Hi! I've been a dedicated lurker on this list, just soaking up all the
good
info, but now I need some specific advice/information.  Do any of you
who
have math tutorial centers ever hire undergraduate students to grade
the
homework of their peers?  A member of our math dept. insists that it is
common practice in math to have undergrads grade the homework for the
freshman level math classes, and he convinced the Academic Dean that
this
should be funded through my tutoring budget last semester(when the dean
was
brand new), but the subject is up for consideration again for this
semester.

There's a lot of history behind this that I won't go into because it
would
make this message way too long, but this math professor and I have had
running disagreement for years about whether or not it's okay to have
undergraduate tutors grade the homework of peers. This year he abandoned
the
pretense of having the tutors just tutor and actually wanted me to hire
student as a grader. I refused, he went to the dean, and the dean sided
with
him while assuring me that the issue would be "revisited".

So, (sorry for the length!) I'm really looking for ammo to take to the
dean
proving that it is NOT common practice to have undergraduate graders
for
freshman math classes.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Deb

Debra Bailin, Director of Student Academic Development
Lyndon State College
Lyndonville, VT 05851