At The University of Maine, The Math Department hires graders for their faculty
 members.  It is common practice here as the 100 & 200 level math courses are
rather large and faculty teach multiple sections.  They hire upper class math
majors to grade homework and tests.  When hiring math tutors and I know that
they are also grading papers in the math department, they may not tutor the
class for which they grade papers.  The Math department pays the student for
grading papers and I pay them for tutoring.  Therefore the accounting is
sep. and we avoid conflict of interest.

Hope this helps.

Ruth A. Doucette
Tutor Coordinator