At our college (undergraduate), tutors do not grade any other student's
homework.  However, the departments often hire student assistants to help
with clerical work in their offices, and they sometimes grade homework.

Denise L.S. Howe, Ed.S.
Director of Learning Support Services
Manchester College
219-982-5076

                    Debbie Bailin
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    C.EDU>                      cc:
                    Sent by: Open Forum         Subject:     undergrad graders for math?
                    for Learning
                    Assistance
                    Professionals
                    IZONA.EDU>

                    01/23/01 03:40 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Open Forum for
                    Learning Assistance
                    Professionals

Hi! I've been a dedicated lurker on this list, just soaking up all the good
info, but now I need some specific advice/information.  Do any of you who
have math tutorial centers ever hire undergraduate students to grade the
homework of their peers?  A member of our math dept. insists that it is
common practice in math to have undergrads grade the homework for the
freshman level math classes, and he convinced the Academic Dean that this
should be funded through my tutoring budget last semester(when the dean was
brand new), but the subject is up for consideration again for this
semester.

There's a lot of history behind this that I won't go into because it would
make this message way too long, but this math professor and I have had a
running disagreement for years about whether or not it's okay to have
undergraduate tutors grade the homework of peers. This year he abandoned
the
pretense of having the tutors just tutor and actually wanted me to hire a
student as a grader. I refused, he went to the dean, and the dean sided
with
him while assuring me that the issue would be "revisited".

So, (sorry for the length!) I'm really looking for ammo to take to the dean
proving that it is NOT common practice to have undergraduate graders for
freshman math classes.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Deb

Debra Bailin, Director of Student Academic Development
Lyndon State College
Lyndonville, VT 05851