At Central Connecticut State University we use Learning Plus for students
preparing to take the Praxis I exam to gain entrance to our teacher
education program.  Students receive a brief orientation from one of our
student workers, including viewing the video from ETS, they are then
registered and given a password.  After that, the students take the skills
profile and set up their own times to come to the learning lab and work at
their own pace.
These students work independently and require little assistance from us.
Occasionally we have to reboot the program or clear up some other technical
problem.  Otherwise, it stands on its own quite nicely.  Students sign in
and out so that we have a clear picture of demand and time on task.  The
software would do that for us, but this works well for us.  It's a great
program and we are very happy with it.
Students rave about the success that they attribute to this preparation.
Those students who are arriving after a failed first attempt to pass Praxis
I also attribute their successful retakes to their time working on Learning
Plus.
We are considering utilizing the program for students who want to improve
their math skills, but are not yet ready for our remedial math class.  This
is still under discussion.
A student stopped in the other day and said that the math portion of Praxis
I has changed to fill in the answer, rather than multiple choice.  The
software allows multiple choice.  We spoke with ETS to see if they might be
modifying the software to reflect this change in the test protocol.

There has been some discussion of making a "take home" option that students
would purchase from the bookstore, get downloaded in the learning center and
be able to work on without being in TLC.  This would work well for our
students, but I don't know how it would work for those using the program as
a classroom tool. I don't know how far this idea has gone with the company.

Meg Leake
-