Maria--
It just happened that 3 sophomore nursing majors were in our Learning Center
when I read your e-mail, so I asked them what study strategies they have found
particularly helpful.  They said that using case studies of "real" patients with
diseases, etc. was helpful because it helped them learn how to "pull out"
information that is critical for them to work with.  Many times their test
questions also consist of case studies, so this is helpful when preparing for
tests.  Another student said that having practice questions to work at the end
of each chapter would be helpful.  Would there be a way to teach students how to
write their own practice questions and then share them with a study group?
Finally, another student said that, in his Pathophysiology course, they had to
make "concept maps" regarding clients' medical diagnoses.  These concept maps
were cascading charts that included information such as:  disease/medical
diagnosis, definition, etiology/risk factors, pathophysiology changes, clinical
manifestations (signs, symptoms, laboratory test results/diagnostic tests),
treatment, nursing interventions (nursing actions, client teaching, meds, diet,
kardex orders), prognosis.  (I took this info off a handout from the student's
class).

I've done inservices with nursing majors regarding learning style assessment,
time management, working with study groups and memory strategies.

Good luck!
Lisa Kramme
Midland Lutheran College
Fremont, Nebraska