Maria,

A significant number of our nursing students are deficient in their reading
skills. Reading nursing textbooks has proved to be difficult so I initiated a
reading comprehension workshop for nursing students last summer. In the
program I provided an overview of strategies to help the students understand
and remember content from their nursing texts. I also did some meta cognitive
assessing. I had the students bring their fundamentals text to the program
and we did some practice with their text.

The workshop was well received and I plan to expand it next summer. Not only
will we be able to spend more time on the strategies but we will also have
more opportunities to practice the skills on other nursing material. I plan
to carry the program throughout the first semester. I am hoping that this
"nursing textbook study-reading" program will improve the success of our
students. If anyone else is working with nursing students I would be
interested in hearing form you.

Peg Gallagher
Assistant Professor of Nursing
William Rainey Harper College