Is anyone running a competency-based developmental education program? If so,
what competencies do you include in the program and how do you measure them?
Further, what is the means you use to help students achieve those
competencies?

At Calumet College of St. Joseph, the Curriculum and Assessment Committee has
established a subcommittee to investigate how to deliver a competency-based
developmental studies program. The effort will begin with defining the
competencies we wish students to exhibit before they enroll in regular
college courses. The next step will be to determine how to measure those
competencies, and finally, how to help students achieve them.

These competencies include writing, reading, math, study skills, time
management, computer, memory, note-taking, test-taking, and thinking.

I would appreciate advice or learning about develop such a program.

Richard Damashek
Director of Academic Support