Writing center directors make up a vibrant and active professional community, and many
national conferences are available for folks interested in WC work.  First is the
National Writing Centers Association conference, recently held (in November) in
Baltimore.  Information on the NWCA is available at <http://nwca.syr.edu/>.  The
Conference on College Composition and Communication (the CCCC, part of NCTE) also
features many panels and workshops relevant to writing center work, including a
pre-conference full-day workshop on writing centers (I don't have the session number,
but it's happening on Wednesday, March 14).  This year's CCCC is in Denver from
3/14-3/17, and information is at <http://www.ncte.org/convention/cccc2001/>.  Several of
us have also collaborated on proposals for writing center presentations for next
November's NCTE convention in Baltimore.  The NCTE convention page is
<http://www.ncte.org/convention/>.  Finally, the annual National Conference on Peer
Tutoring in Writing will be held next fall at Muhlenberg College in PA; information is
at <http://www.chss.iup.edu/wc/ncptw/>.  There are also very active regional writing
center associations; information on some of these may be available at the NWCA's
resources page at <http://nwca.syr.edu/NWCA/WCResources.html#Organizations>, but for
more detailed and up-to-date information about regional WCAs, contact the wcenter
listserv.  Information's available at the homepage for wcenter, a listserv for writing
center folks, at <http://english.ttu.edu/wcenter/home.htm>.

Kurt Bouman
Director, Learning Resource Center
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown