Hi! I've been a dedicated lurker on this list, just soaking up all the good
info, but now I need some specific advice/information.  Do any of you who
have math tutorial centers ever hire undergraduate students to grade the
homework of their peers?  A member of our math dept. insists that it is
common practice in math to have undergrads grade the homework for the
freshman level math classes, and he convinced the Academic Dean that this
should be funded through my tutoring budget last semester(when the dean was
brand new), but the subject is up for consideration again for this semester.

There's a lot of history behind this that I won't go into because it would
make this message way too long, but this math professor and I have had a
running disagreement for years about whether or not it's okay to have
undergraduate tutors grade the homework of peers. This year he abandoned the
pretense of having the tutors just tutor and actually wanted me to hire a
student as a grader. I refused, he went to the dean, and the dean sided with
him while assuring me that the issue would be "revisited".

So, (sorry for the length!) I'm really looking for ammo to take to the dean
proving that it is NOT common practice to have undergraduate graders for
freshman math classes.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Deb

Debra Bailin, Director of Student Academic Development
Lyndon State College
Lyndonville, VT 05851