Deb,

At our school, our Learning Skills Center has what we call Undergraduate
Teaching Assistants (UTA) for algebra classes.  These UTA's job
responsibilities (which include teaching recitation and grading homework)
are separate from tutor responsibilites--some UTA's also tutor, but they
are separate programs.  The UTA program is partially funded by the Math
department.

If you'd like any more information about our program, I'll be happy to put
you in touch with one of the professionals in that area.

Sincerely,
Mike

--On Tuesday, January 23, 2001 4:40 PM -0500 Debbie Bailin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:r

< Hi! I've been a dedicated lurker on this list, just soaking up all the
< good info, but now I need some specific advice/information.  Do any of
< you who have math tutorial centers ever hire undergraduate students to
< grade the homework of their peers?  A member of our math dept. insists
< that it is common practice in math to have undergrads grade the homework
< for the freshman level math classes, and he convinced the Academic Dean
< that this should be funded through my tutoring budget last semester(when
< the dean was brand new), but the subject is up for consideration again
< for this semester.
<
< There's a lot of history behind this that I won't go into because it would
< make this message way too long, but this math professor and I have had a
< running disagreement for years about whether or not it's okay to have
< undergraduate tutors grade the homework of peers. This year he abandoned
< the pretense of having the tutors just tutor and actually wanted me to
< hire a student as a grader. I refused, he went to the dean, and the dean
< sided with him while assuring me that the issue would be "revisited".
<
< So, (sorry for the length!) I'm really looking for ammo to take to the
< dean proving that it is NOT common practice to have undergraduate graders
< for freshman math classes.
<
< Thanks in advance for your input!
<
< Deb
<
< Debra Bailin, Director of Student Academic Development
< Lyndon State College
< Lyndonville, VT 05851

Michael Giazzoni
Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction Supervisor
Learning Skills Center
311 William Pitt Union
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260