Our developmental program offers students the option of studying vocabulary
from content courses through a Blackboard web site I created. Students place
themselves in a group based upon fields of study rather than specific
courses (e.g. health, social science/humanities, language arts, etc.).
Student groups then us the discussion board to create a subject dictionary
of words they encounter in their courses. They write their own definitions,
use the words in sentences and engage in activities such as creating index
cards, glossaries and crossword puzzles, intended to teach them how to learn
words on their own. This has been fairly successful, and a colleague at a
nearby college has her students join mine in these virtual groups. Anyone
wishing to view the site may do so at:
http://www.blackboard.com/courses/DVED153. (DVED must be all caps). Just
click on the "Visit as a guest" link. You'll not have access to everything
but should be able to see enough to get the idea. I welcome comments and
suggestions.

Dan Snook, Developmental Education Coordinator
Montcalm Community College
2800 College Drive
Sidney, MI 48885
517-328-1282