Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:16:28 -0600
Sender: General College Staff and Faculty <[log in to unmask]>
From: Terence Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fw: Governor Ventura's Budget Proposal--from the President,             please read and act
To: [log in to unmask]

------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01C08629.63AF7C40

----- Original Message -----=20
From: UPres=20
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: Governor Ventura's Budget Proposal

January 24, 2001

Deans, Directors and Department Heads:

As you may have heard, the Governor yesterday released his budget =
proposals for the coming biennium, recommending only $56.6 million of =
the $221 million requested by the University.=20

This is the third lowest appropriation for the University in a =
non-recession year since 1945. Unless the legislature is more generous, =
it will require a major retrenchment at the University, including =
reductions in personnel and substantial increases in tuition. It goes =
without saying that any efforts to increase faculty salaries will be =
jeopardized, and we will fall further behind other research universities =
in our ability to attract and keep top faculty. This is a great personal =
disappointment to me and represents a major step backward for the =
University.

The University has requested $221 million for the biennium. Of that, =
$150 million is earmarked for core operations, including meeting =
double-digit increases in health care premium costs for employees, =
providing a cost of living increase in wages and addressing an annual =
deficit in the Medical School. The remaining $71.5 million would support =
initiatives that fuel Minnesota's economy, including health professional =
education, computer science and information technology, and the =
biological sciences.

The people of Minnesota have responded enthusiastically to the =
initiatives that we have taken over the last three years both in the =
quality of undergraduate education and in areas that fuel Minnesota's =
economy. This budget does not include one thin dime for either of these =
and that is short-sighted in today's knowledge economy.

I want you to know that I will do everything in my power to assure =
adequate funding for the University - I will travel the state, I will =
speak out, and I will engage our alumni and friends. But I need your =
help: contact your legislators and let them know that you do not agree =
with the Governor's proposed funding for the University. Tell them that =
the very foundation of the University is at risk and that the gains we =
have made together will be lost without more dollars than the Governor =
has allocated.

Please help! The University's full request and information on contacting =
your legislators can be found on the Web at www.umn.edu/govrel

NOTE: Please share this information with all University employees.

Mark G. Yudof
President
202 Morrill Hall
626-1616=20

------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01C08629.63AF7C40

<?fontfamily><?param Comic_Sans_MS><HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" [log in to unmask]>UPres</A> =
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]"=20
[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, January 24, 2001 4:31 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Governor Ventura's Budget Proposal</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>January 24, 2001<BR><BR>Deans, Directors and Department=20
Heads:<BR><BR>As you may have heard, the Governor yesterday released his =
budget=20
proposals for the coming biennium, recommending only $56.6 million of =
the $221=20
million requested by the University. <BR><BR>This is the third lowest=20
appropriation for the University in a non-recession year since 1945. =
Unless the=20
legislature is more generous, it will require a major retrenchment at =
the=20
University, including reductions in personnel and substantial increases =
in=20
tuition. It goes without saying that any efforts to increase faculty =
salaries=20
will be jeopardized, and we will fall further behind other research =
universities=20
in our ability to attract and keep top faculty. This is a great personal =

disappointment to me and represents a major step backward for the=20
University.<BR><BR>The University has requested $221 million for the =
biennium.=20
Of that, $150 million is earmarked for core operations, including =
meeting=20
double-digit increases in health care premium costs for employees, =
providing a=20
cost of living increase in wages and addressing an annual deficit in the =
Medical=20
School. The remaining $71.5 million would support initiatives that fuel=20
Minnesota's economy, including health professional education, computer =
science=20
and information technology, and the biological sciences.<BR><BR>The =
people of=20
Minnesota have responded enthusiastically to the initiatives that we =
have taken=20
over the last three years both in the quality of undergraduate education =
and in=20
areas that fuel Minnesota's economy. This budget does not include one =
thin dime=20
for either of these and that is short-sighted in today's knowledge=20
economy.<BR><BR>I want you to know that I will do everything in my power =
to=20
assure adequate funding for the University - I will travel the state, I =
will=20
speak out, and I will engage our alumni and friends. But I need your =
help:=20
contact your legislators and let them know that you do not agree with =
the=20
Governor's proposed funding for the University. Tell them that the very=20
foundation of the University is at risk and that the gains we have made =
together=20
will be lost without more dollars than the Governor has =
allocated.<BR><BR>Please=20
help! The University's full request and information on contacting your=20
legislators can be found on the Web at =
<?/fontfamily><U><?fontfamily><?param Times><?color><?param =
0000,0000,00FF><A=20
href=3D"http://www.umn.edu/govrel">www.umn.edu/govrel</A><?/color><?/font=
family></U><?fontfamily><?param Comic_Sans_MS><BR><BR>NOTE:=20
Please share this information with all University=20
employees.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><?/fontfamily><BR>Mark G.=20
Yudof<BR>President<BR>202 Morrill Hall<BR>626-1616 </BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01C08629.63AF7C40--