Deb,

While I agree whole-heartedly that grading papers is part of the instructional experience, I also know that we don't live in a perfect world.  Sometime logistics require the hiring of students to grade papers.  I don't have any judgements about grads vs. undergrads.  At  our school we only have undergrads, and undergrads get paid by the math department to grade papers for any class they have previous taken.  However, when it comes to the question of who should pay for graders I have very definite opinions.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that tutoring money should be spent on grading.  Our math department wouldn't dream of asking me to fund their graders.  Grading is a part of instructing, and instructing is the math department's responsibility.   The mission of the  Learning Enrichment Center is to directly support students, not faculty.

Good Luck, Deb.  Hopefully your administrators will get a clue.  I would like to know how this all turns out.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Coordinator, Math Tutorial Services
Utah Valley State College
800 West University Pkwy