Mon, here is Management Tip #8 for the February newsletter. BTW, when I searched for the January 2001 edition, the search engine came up with it on the list but as I clicked on it, I was sent to the February edition still under construction. As I progressed down the list, I came upon a second January link --which is what I wanted to check my last management tip.

 #9 Learning Center Web Sites

With the announcement of the awards in the LSCHE Learning Support Center Web Site Excellence program, this seems like an appropriate time to talk about web sites. If you don't have one, think seriously about developing one. Your web site gives you 365/24/7 campus visibility for your  program announcements and descriptions as well as introducing staff through photos and short bios. In addition, you can offer interactive learning skills and styles diagnostics,  publish printable handouts, and offer  links to learning skills information and activities on the web. Most importantly, you can offer anytime dialoguing with your students, faculty, and administration through mailto icons.

Mon, if you want to publish the award results in your newsletter along with this tip, here is some copy. Edit as you wish.

At the Winter Institute 2001 awards banquet held in the Phoenix area, the winners in the LSCHE 2000 Web Site Excellence Program were announced. The award winners represented both community college and university learning support centers from Arizona, Indiana, Louisiana, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Five judges, from Cochise College in Arizona, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, the University of Arizona in Tucson, and  Western International University, selected the following winners:

1st Place Award: Tutoring and Learning Resources Center at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia

2nd Place Award:  Academic Learning Centers at Union County College in New Jersey

3rd Place Award: Center for Academic Success at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge

Honorable Mention: Liberal Arts Learning Center at Purdue University

Honorable Mention: Learning Support and Tutoring Center at Pima College East Campus in Tucson

Honorable Mention:  Learning Support Center at Paradise Valley Community College in Arizona.

All award winning centers are entitled to display on their home page a LSCHE 2000 Award Icon designed by Rick Sheets, Web Master of the LSCHE web portal.

In addition, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place award winners receive a Web Site Excellence Award plaque, and prizes donated by two publishing companies: from H & H Publishing Company, 250 copies of the Technology and Internet Assessment by Michael Ealy; and from O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.,  a book,  Web Navigation: Designing the User Experience by J. Fleming. The Honorable mention winners receive an award winner certificate and a book, Web by Design: The Complete Guide by M. Holzschlag,  donated by Sybex, Inc.

Watch for details of the LSCHE Web Site Excellence Award Program for 2001 to be announced in late spring of 2001.

Mon, keep up the good work. Have you heard from Bob Hackworth?  Is your situation still in jeopardy?  Collegially....
[log in to unmask]     "The second-handedness of the learned
Frank L Christ                  world is the secret of its mediocrity."
Emeritus, CSULB             ....Alfred North Whitehead
Visiting Scholar, U of AZ
LSC & WI Web site:
http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~lsche/