I want to support Douglas King's position.  Call it whatever you like as
necessary to build and maintain support, but the very best thing, in my
opinion, that has happened at the Washington State Records Center was hiring
in 1992 a software firm that specialized in writing warehouse management
software and hiring a building consultant that planned warehouses.  Since
building our high rack records warehouse we have been able to keep our staff
level steady while increasing productivity (picks & putaways) three times
over, increasing our effective space utilization from 75% at best to 100%,
and becoming completely accurate.  Pencils went out, barcode scanners came
in.  Forklifts and orderpickers replaced or supplemented handtrucks - now
one staff member could move 45 to 50 boxes at a time instead of 5 or 6.  In
the old system we put away 2,000 new boxes (the average number coming in
during a month) in a month, with questionable accuracy.  Now we can put them
away with complete accuracy in one day.  You can call it a records center
whenever necessary and I do, but I believe you run it like a warehouse
specializing in records storage, using materials handling equipment and
concepts to be competitive and economical.  To me that is a selling point -
we achieve accuracy and economy and security (including assured and speedy
retrieval) and do records management all at the same time.

For whatever it is worth.

Ken House
Washington State Records Center
360-586-4900