I am familiar with quite a number of organizations using a label printing
system for end tab labels called NetLabels, at www.netlabels.com.  This
software currently has a suggested retail price of $299.00 for a custom
label design posted to the Internet with a secured password/user
ID.  NetLabels includes a permanent, unlimited concurrent user license,
enabling any number of workstations, departments or geographic locations to
print labels.  In addition, there are no annual maintenance fees or upgrade
costs, meaning the "cost of ownership" is minimized.  NetLabels lets a user
utilize whatever color printer that they already have or want to use,
including ink jet or laser (even thermal and thermal transfer), and the
user can  buy consumable suppliers on the open market at the best
prevailing prices; NetLabels does not require consumable ink supplies to be
purchased as a condition of using NetLabels.  We have happy customers using
a number of different printer brands.  For ink jets, the new HP2200 is
great, as is HP's laser model # 4550 (I think I have the model #'s
correct).  We have customers that have printed almost 10,000 labels a day
with HP's laser printer, and we have not had an incidence of ooze or labels
sticking to the diffuser.  NetLabels allows labels to be printed by
importing a local database of records, by creating a table/spreadsheet of
records, or by simply typing in an index field into a data entry block(s)
right within NetLabels.   Just about any file formats can be used;
NetLabels is made to work with your data and your computing
environment.  Laser printers are established as the lower consumable cost
versus ink jet, however, these days it is easy to buy recycled ink
cartridges and/or ink recycling kits to bring down the cost of label
printing.  For example, we printed millions of labels with recycled inks
that sell for about $100.00/gallon, versus costs of $25.00 to $35.00 for
many ink cartridges that only hold minimal ink.  Using recycled ink, we
estimated an average cost of an end tab label to be about .015/ per label
for ink.  Some printers also have print heads or other components that may
require periodic replacement, depending on the printer model.  NetLabels is
so easy to use that the labor factor is minimal; in fact, we have customers
that enter a print command of hundreds of labels at a time, and they let
the machine run unattended.  Of course, there are a number of factors that
can affect the labor component of printing labels.  Finally, NetLabels
users typically utilize label stock sold through NetLabels resellers, and
pricing is based on volume.  It is possible for a customer to use their own
choice of label stock, if they can source a pre-cut label sheet that is
set-up to run with NetLabels and an arrangement is worked out up front.  In
summary, NetLabels is intended to provide the most value in that it is a
minimal up-front investment that does not require capital expense or
technology risk, while enabling unlimited users and label designs.  And
NetLabels does not require MIS staff to install or maintain the software -
NetLabels does that for its users directly.  With this program, we hope the
"total cost of ownership" is lower than all alternative systems on the
market, and we always welcome feedback to help ensure that NetLabels is
both the most robust, and the lowest cost, system on the market.

Please let us know if more detailed or systematic information would be
helpful to your study, or if any other efforts on our part would be of
benefit.  Good luck with your endeavor!

Eric Collins, CRM
GBS Corp. (www.gbscorp.com)
toll free 877-427-0002.