In addition to Dick's comments, this function might be best performed
by HR in conjunction with the supervisor.  Many organizations
routinely review the content of an Employee's personnel file with
them upon separation from service to ensure they are aware of the
content of the file, including any documents (especially medical)
that are required to be retained for a  specific period of years.

Depending on the type of work the individual performed and any
possible exposure to hazardous materials in the course of performing
those duties, it would be a good practice to consider if it's not
done currently.

Possibly HR/IS and security should sit down and develop a checklist
to be used on separation?

Larry

--
Lawrence Medina