I served on the negotiating team for our parent company's national contract
with Iron Mountain. It is working very well. What you must do, however, is
consider each location you will be storing records at. There are so many
locations, and they are run somewhat independently. If you have problems
with any one location and are unable to resolve them at that level, contact
headquarters. They will help resolve the problem. If you have a national
contract, make sure each location you use is aware they must comply with
that contract agreement -- at one location we had a bit of a go-around
before they finally agreed we had a national contract -- IM is huge, so even
at headquarters it is hard for one region to track another, so they had
trouble tracking down the contract. There is an audit process in place to
check up on locations, but I know that they are unable to audit each
location annually. Part of our role as RIMs is to monitor the process and
make sure everything is going as it should be according to the contract so
don't ever be worried about bumping it up a level or two if you need to.
They are providing a service, and it is important that you get what you paid
for at the agreed upon price. On the other hand, it worries me that some
companies rely so heavily on commercial storage vendors when they are in
fact just paying for storage of records. Unless you are contracted for FULL
RIM services, someone at the company still needs to manage company records
and information. And if you have contracted for full RIM services, I believe
the contract and services need to be monitored closely by SOMEONE in the
company, preferrably one who is properly trained and not just a bean
counter.

Dianne Hagan
Carrier Corporation