From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of LeMay, Cindi
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 2:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Request for Info

Hello everyone.  My name is Cindi LeMay and I'm a records manager with Pepe
& Hazard, LLC a Law Firm in Hartford.  I have recently been requested to
perform a fairly large task which will put me in some areas on unfamiliar
territory.

The job is actually multiple parts.  The first issue to be dealt with is to
review over 40 years worth of documentation being held in their storage
facility for auditing what they have, what they need and what can be
destroyed.  This is a very large construction company, they've kept all of
their records after each and every job, it appears that nothing has been
destroyed in the 40 years that they've been storing.  The yearly bill for
storage is in the area of $5 million per year, so we're talking about a lot
of materials.

My first question is, Is there anyone out there who has been faced with a
large (At this time I don't know how many boxes we're talking about, but
given their yearly expense, it must be a fairly substantial number)
categorization, auditing task AND would be willing to talk for a while??  I
have ideas on how to break this down into a "doable" project, but would love
to be able to discuss my thoughts with those of someone who has been there
already.

The second part of this assignment will be to potentially create a Records
Retention and Destruction Policy.  As I said earlier, I'm with a Law Firm
and therefor some of the documents that I'll be working with in the
Construction area are going to be new to me.  Our firm does specialize in
Construction Litigation, but I am by no means an expert in the statutes for
all construction company documents (although heavy reading is certainly on
my list at the moment).  So if there's anyone out there from a Construction
Company environment any size,  and you'd be willing to talk to me , please
give me a call or e-mail.

Thank you all for any input you can give me.  This is truly a chance of a
lifetime for me and I'm very excited about the possibilities and the ability
to learn about a new area of records and information management.

Cindi LeMay
Pepe & Hazard
Hartford, CT
Phone (860) 241-2669