The mention of having to put a system to read electronic records in
archives or time capsules brought to mind a personal incident from a few
years back.  We can all point to 8-tracks, Wang disks, and a few other
long-gone formats but does anyone else remember "wire" recorders?  I
believe they were used some in the WWII era and I remember that we had a
combo unit sitting in our living room in the early 1950's.  A 78 RPM
phonograph, an AM radio, plus the wire recorder.  (Talk about a
collection of obsolescence all in one place!)

A few years ago while cleaning around my parents house I stumbled upon a
collection of wire spools that our family had recorded in those early
days. Never did find a machine to play them on and it makes me wonder
how many similar spools are salted away in broadcasters' archives.  (I
seem to recall my father telling me that Ernie Pyle used a "portable"
wire recorder when they were in the Pacific during the war!)  Ain't
technology wonderful!?

Gary Vocks
SIU School of Medicine
Springfield IL