Hi all,
While reading messages concerning predation of Black Vultures two questions
concerning the relationship between Black Vultures and two of the species
of Caracara. I'm a retired (old fashioned) Communications Engineer- not an
Ornithologist.
I note that both Vultures and Caracara belong to the Order: Falconiformes.
The Vultures (New World) are in the Family: Cathartidae while the Caracara
are in the Family: Falconidae.
I bird the Kissimmee Prairie fairly often and I always study kettles of
Vultures,
especially Black Vultures looking for Crested Caracara. They seem to be
together and behave very much alike. Do the Crested Caracara also
Last winter I was on West Point Island in the Falkland Islands. I saw a lot
of Turkey Vultures. They were of the subspecies C. a. jota , while our's are
C. a. septenrionalis -I think. I could not tell the difference between the
two.
There were several Striated Caracara mixed in the group. The Falklanders
call them "Johnny Rook". They behave like the Black Vultures in this
"thread".
Regards,
Bud Kleckner
Vero Beach, FL 32966
I said, "Why doesn't somebody do something!!
Then I realized that I am somebody"