The numbers of Red-throated Loons off Jacksonville Beach seem to be
declining this week.  On Monday (1/29/2001) when I got to 16th Avenue South
at 9:55 am it soon became clear that there were lots of loons on the
water.  Rather than doing a static watch I decided to try other some other
convenient viewing locations.  I stopped at five locations, going as far
north as 15th Avenue North.  The total count was 62 loons and a the largest
group seen was seven.  Back at 16th Avenue South on Tuesday, Wednesday, and
today I saw 16, 3, and 4 loons.  This makes 23 consecutive watches since
12/21/2000 on which Red-throateds have been seen.

Other notable birds this week were jaegers each day:  Monday - 1 dark morph
Parasitic, Tuesday - 2 Pomarines and one jaeger sp., Wednesday - 1
Pomarine, Thursday - 1 jaeger sp.  A small movement of northbound ducks was
evident: Tuesday - 2 duck sp., Thursday - 7 Black Scoters, 3 duck sp.

Later...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
[log in to unmask] http://www.badbirdz.com/
"Even in its most primitive form, naming is a kind of judgment."
                                                        (Walker Percy)