Wow.  It sounds like an episode from the X Files.  It is a mystery, but I
will tell you what I know.
On friday, 2/2/01, the Flamingo ranger station received a call at about 4pm
from a fisherman who had seen "buzzards" in the water ~1 mile west of Sandy
Key.  We responded at about 4:30, but it took a while to get there since we
had to stop for a boating violation, and a separate resource violation.  By
5:30 we were on the scene, where we found 65 Turkey Vultures floating in the
water, resembling a very loose raft of ducks.  At least 50 were already
dead, the rest were in bad shape.  We took several photographs, water
samples, and randomly selected 2 of the birds for necropsy.  We also made
the observation that the weather was unusual - extremely calm water, no
wind, and fog approaching from the gulf.
That is all I know, and I was there.  The samples have been sent on for
analysis, and I will post the results when I get them.

CJ Grimes, Park Ranger
Everglades National Park