I was probably premature in yesterday's post to indicate that the local
loonacy may be letting up.  In an hour today (2/2/2001) at 16th Avenue
South, beginning at 11:30 am, I counted 34 Red-throateds.  All but five
were flying south.  Two settled on the water about 300 yards out, but were
quickly lost due to the chop and trying to keep up with other birds.  Two
flocks of northbound ducks were seen during the watch.  One of thirty or so
I took to be teal sp., and the other of 50 or so I thought might be
scaup.  In spite of a lack of shrimp boats, jaegers were present and
entertaining. These were at least two Pomarines (a light morph subadult
seen several times and a dark juvenile), and a dark morph Parasitic.

Disclaimer:  The observations contained in this post, as they have been
reported on the Internet, may be unacceptable by the standards of the FOS
Bird Police.  Also, the person posting this report makes no claims as to
the significance of the observations.

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
http://www.badbirdz.com/elvis1.htm
"Well I used to be disgusted, but now I'm just amused."
                                                    (Elvis Costello)
Later...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
[log in to unmask] http://www.badbirdz.com/
"Even in its most primitive form, naming is a kind of judgment."
                                                        (Walker Percy)