On my way with a group to St. Marks yesterday (2/17) to pick up a "state
bird," I happened upon another, literally 200 feet south of the Georgia
state line on US-221.  Just a mile on the other side of the line in Brooks
Co., GA, we had been scoping a big mixed flock of blackbirds, doves,
snipe, meadowlark and others, and there were quite a few Rusty Blackbirds
mixed in--all of them females.  No Brewers.  Then, just across the state
line and very close to the road we had several more Rusty Blackbirds, this
time all males.  They are at least halfway through the prealternate molt,
so all the flight feathers plus underparts and head are black, but the
wing coverts retain rusty edges, making them distinct from Brewers.

We then struggled at Lake Miccosukee to see one (not two) White-tailed
Kite.  At 12:30, I got one quick glimpse from the east ("Pine Island")
side before a low-hunting bird set down behind the 8-ft tall weeds for the
next hour or two.  Then, at 2:30 we all got longer, though quite distant
views of one hunting (hovering) kite from the west side at Rococo Rd.
landing.

Brad
Brad Bergstrom, Ph.D., Professor           TEL  912-333-5770 /-5759
Department of Biology                      FAX  912-333-7389
Valdosta State University                  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Valdosta, GA 31698-0015                    Home: 912-333-0743
           Home Page-- http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/