  Your report was certainly surprising, but after 37 years of birding in
south Florida it would not be that surprising. Who would have ever
predicted that they woul become a nesting bird in Coral Gables. There were
at least three nests within 2 miles of the University of Miami campus last
year. I am told that this has not happened in Broward County yet, and it
only started in Miami-Dade County 11 years ago. The first such nest was
located in an Australian Pine on the Snapper Creek Canal near Parrot
Jungle.
  I saw my first STK 36 years ago this March while I was standing in the
parking lot at West Lake in Everglades National Park. It matched all of
the descriptons that I had been given. I have seen them many times since
then in many places, but the thrill of watching them is as intense today
as it was then. Last summer I happened to look out of my second floor
kitchen window to see two STK flying through the parking lot of my
condominium complex. Red winged blackbirds and common grackles were trying
to harass them, but they did not have a chance, The STK were less than 6
feet off the ground, and I was looking down on them, but they out
maneuvered their attackers easily.
  If they are not already back they will be soon, and I look forward to
seeing them again. Who wouldn't?
  Bob Kelley
  Tropical Audubon Society
  Miami, FL