Today (2Feb 01) a friend called to alert me of a Sandhill Crane in Medart
(Wakulla Co.) that had been in his field for about a week.  Since it was at
the crack of dawn (9:30 AM), I politely told him "great, I'll put it in my
journal".  I have seen only a group of four birds over SMNWR this season,
whereas for the last few years they were all over, yard birds even
(overhead).  Somewhat scarce here this year.

Preparing for the Piping Plover Survey, I was talking with a neighbor that
lives on the beach here at Bald Pt. (Franklin Co.)  He was armed with a
Sibley Guide, ready for the event.  He casually stated that he had two
Rufous-type hummers coming to his feeder, and asked had I kept my feeders
up.  Well, yes I've got feeders up, but he has my hummers!  I've had a
Ruby-throated, a Black-chinned, and a Rufous type this season.  All one
time feeders.  Obviously his feeders are preferred.

As John Murphy reported Fred Bassett has banded Rufous hummers on Alligator
Pt. recently; one of John's was previously banded in N GA.  The other is
ranging about a mile and frequenting his Sister-In-Laws's feeder, per
Fred.  At least they keep them in the family!  More hummers were banded at
St. Theresa (Franklin Co.) by Fred.

About a month ago I met Clayton Oaks' wife (former owners of the Oaks
Restaurant in Panacea) in Lowe's in Tallahassee buying a hummer feeder and
bird food.  She said they had a Rufous type at their Lake Talquin
home.  Still other local friends have told me of their hummers.

This has to be one of the biggest hummer winters I have ever
experienced!  Judging from reports from this and other  lists--Carolinas
through Texas-- this seems to be the case.  Who knows what all types are
around?

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL