Greetings:

Yesterday, Peter Murphy and I (myself included Dick), went up to
Babcock-Webb W.M.A. to search for RCWs, Bachman's Sparrow and a few other
Florida specialties. No luck on the Bachman's (too early?) nor the RCWs
(although we found many marked trees along Oil Well and Tram Grades.)
Charlotte County has the highest drought index of any county in Florida.
Our best birds were a wandering flock of Brown-headed Nuthatch, one
Grasshopper Sparrow and a Limpkin. There is precious little water at
Babcock-Webb and the sight of an alligator sitting in a five-foot puddle
of muddy water, no more than 6-inches deep, will take a long time to
erase from my memory. . . .

Here's our day list:

Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle (one subadult at B-W and a nice male sitting in a slash pine
at Exit 26 on I-75)
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Kestrel
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Limpkin (x1 in the small channel on the north side of Tucker's Grade
immediately past the pay station)
Sandhill Crane (heard only)
Killdeer
Common Snipe