GREETINGS:

Vince Lucas's recent message regarding bird names,
most of which were or are subspecies, brings to mind
an excellent treatment of several specific and
sub-specific bird populations in the Florida Keys.
The Keys are unique in that we have a temperate fauna
dwelling in a tropical and sub-tropical flora.  This
has raised some interesting questions concerning
invertebrate and vertebrate forms.  Dr. james D.
Lazel, Jr. in his book. WILDLIFE OF THE FLORIDA KEYS A
Natural History (Island Press, Wash. DC, 1989), gives
us an overview of the land (and it's geological
history), the flora and the fauna.  Basically a
vertebrate zoologist specializing in the zoogeography
of islands, he treats us to a view of his great
insight into these subjects.
I will just talk about birds of the FL Keys.  He
starts with an annotated list of species and then
discusses special species.  The keys have given rise
to quite a few subspecies, morphs and geographical
populations (as in Sibley).I will just list these
specialitys.

 Brown Pelican, The Great Herons (he gets into the
Blue Heron, Ward's  and White Heron subjects and gives
a very good explanation of the differences between
morphs, clines and subspp.). I was particularly
interested in his views on the status of the White
Heron.

Roseate Spoonbill, Clapper Rail, Short-billed
Dowitcher, Black Noddy, White-crowned Pigeon, Key West
Quail-dove. mangrove Cuckoo, Antillean Nighthawk Cuban
Yellow Warbler.

He does an equally fascinating job on the mammals,
herps and arthropods.

Must reading.

Good birding and see you in the Keys!

Bob Parcelles, Jr.

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates <[log in to unmask]>
http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=976131876
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."- Confucius